The mill’s origins are unknown, but from 1846 to 1865 it was used for dressing slabs from Diffwys Quarry, which pioneered the Blaenau Ffestiniog slate industry. It may therefore be the earliest surviving slate mill in Blaenau Ffestiniog. It is listed Grade II. It then became a school for seven years. Then from 1873 to 1964 was operated as a woollen mill along with Moelwyn Mill at Tanygrisiau, by Jacob Jones & Son. Since 1969 it has been the home and workplace of artist and industrial archaeologist Falcon Hildred. The earliest part of the mill is preserved as it was when it closed and the machinery removed, but with the overhead transmission shafting still in place, and the 24 foot waterwheel working again. The mill now houses Falcon’s watercolour drawings which record the historic town quarries and industrial landscape of Blaenau Ffestiniog, together with his designs for the town’s future. Open from May to the end of October, anytime including evenings and weekends but it is recommended that visitors telephone first to avoid disappointment. To visit the mill please use the telephone number on the “Contact Details” page of the website.
To visit the mill please see the information on the “Contact Details” page of the website.